Sunday, January 16, 2005

SLC Punk

Fred, our upstairs neighbor, let us borrow us SLC Punk a few weeks ago. We finally watched it the other night. This would have been an all-time best movie ever if I had seen it when I was 21 or 22. As it is, I am almost 28 now and the subject matter wasn't as profound any more. It is such a Target Audience movie, and I am sad to report that I have slipped out. I look at kids in the mall with their pajamas and pacifiers, Trucker hats, really short skirts, bad music, and bad John-Hughes-rip-off movies and I shake my head. I wonder if I was ever that unaware of myself, while at the same time being so self-conscious. Of course, I was, but I don’t like to admit it. But I don’t want to give the impression that I feel old now at the hip-breaking age of the mid-late twenties. I still get amazed that I am 27 going on 28 in February. How did all that time pass? And why am I not a successful gynecologist/motivational speaker yet? Maybe I wasted too much time doing Target Audience things like going to bad movies and playing video games. Of course, I’m still doing this. Spiderman 2 and National Treasure were movies that I got excited about. So I guess my point is -- I’m a total poser. Fuck you.

7 Comments:

Meanwhile, over at Fish Tales -- Natalie HATES the Dentist! 

Posted by cory

1/17/2005 09:33:00 AM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

I started to watch that movie once and had to throw it across the room after about 20 minutes. I hate Matthew Lillard so much that it makes my eyeballs bleed.

That movie is so fucking lame I am now reliving my hatred of it, thanks to your post. 

Posted by Justin

1/18/2005 02:18:00 AM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Come on, it wasn't that bad, and neither is Matthew Lillard. Sure, he was a bit too perfect a match for the role, but if you had stuck with the movie (which did drag on a bit) you see him come around. Even though it is about annoying punks, it also makes fun of annoying punks very well.

Maybe you hate this Lillard fellow so much because of his poor choice of Scobby Doo-type roles, rather than hating him personally. My point is - You are a mean, mean, poopy man, Justin. poop. 

Posted by Stevo

1/18/2005 01:17:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I hate him so much from the Scream movies.

i probably would have liked it if I watched in when I was a sophmore in college, but seeing it now, it held no interest for me. 

Posted by Justin

1/19/2005 01:59:00 AM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Totally, unrelated to this post (for which I'm sorry about), but I *just* realized your quote up at the top, Miss Alabama 1994. I laughed and laughed at it. That's funny. Where did you find that? 

Posted by Jeanette

1/21/2005 01:03:00 AM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

I found it a while ago at some "Dumb Quotes" site, or maybe a quote of the day somethingorother. I couldn't direct to the actual source, or I'd have to kill you.

I change the quotes periodically so they come and go without any direct connection to anything at all. I have a feeling that you almost missed that one forever.

 

Posted by Steve

1/21/2005 06:44:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

um, yea, had the same experience. Loved the movie in HS when I was a little punk rocker myself. (also, i live in SLC, so that was sorta cool for us). However, just watched it recently, and although there are some good laughs in the begining...man, that moive is shit.

 

Posted by Chelsea

1/21/2005 06:52:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home