Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Pesky Hostages


This is a portrait of Vlad Putin, no name jokes please, gettin all iron grip on people. It was inspired by, or would illustrate this article featured in the finest of news sources, The Onion. I did it completely in photoshop, which is the first time I've done such a thing seriously. It took awhile to find the right pictures to use as textures. I'm sure all the searches and downloads of piles of dead bodies for the suit put me on some government watchlist. Remember the days of the encyclopedia? It always took me years to find the entry I wanted because I would get distracted by all the interesting articles on the way. Well, I'm that way on this new fangled intranet as well. I can't just look up Auschwitz pictures without reading about it as well. Not pleasant reading, my e-friend.

1) I got a painting into a Illustration group show on campus! It is my Switch-A-Roo piece. I would post it but I didn't document it before handing it over. I think the show goes up in two weeks or so. It would be really great if someone decided to buy it. I have never sold a piece to a stranger before. Also, making a few extra hundreds would be alright.

2) I just got a copy of Andrew Bird's new Album "The Mysterious Production of Eggs" put out on Feb. 8 by Ani Difranco's label. I don't love it right off. But maybe I will with more listens. I hope it doesn't disappoint me in the long run like Tom Waits' Real Gone has.

3) This is a great interview with Seth MacFarlane by The Onion. I am excited about American Dad; a great reason to watch TV superbowl night.

4) Marigold and I finally saw The Life Aquatic. William DaFoe was really, really awesome in it. In fact, so was everything. The only thing that gets me is that the story line and characters (and actors for that matter) were very similar to The Royal Tenenbaums. I couldn't help but compare Gene Hackman's charming asshole father figure to Bill Murray's charming asshole father figure. Wes Anderson's father must really be an asshole.

8 Comments:

what a nice meaty post steven!

Where to begin.

Did you get the Bird cd from the website? or did you get it off Soulseek? SHould I buy it? I really warmed up to Weather Systems after not liking it for a few months.

I agree with you on Life Aquatic. It was so great to watch and admire, but the story was kind of drifting in the end. Like, after his son's death, nothing really came of it, no one even mentioned it after the burial. that was odd. I loved jeff goldblum's character and the topless chick too. who wouldn't?

Good luck on getting some $ for your painting! I like the Putin (pooty poot) one. I doesn't even look like photo shop. Did you use your tablet thing? 

Posted by Juzzy

1/26/2005 05:12:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, do you have one of those tablet thingies? If so, how do you like it. I have been thinging about getting one for awhile. I can't draw but I want to make stupid ass cartoons like this guy:

http://www.oddtodd.com/index2.html

courtney 

Posted by kcswanko

1/26/2005 06:13:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

That WAS a very juicy entry.

I KNEW Tentacle Girl would go on to bigger & better thingz with a Z. That Putin image is very cool. I thought it was just me when I saw all those bodies until you mentioned it... phew.

Our family was all about Encyclopedias, but I was more into using them as weights for when I needed to quick dry something I was glueing together.

As far As The Family Guy goes... I think Im one of those ppl that fall into the category of... "I hate it." I dont think I've been able to sit through an episode actually. Maybe I just dont get it.

William Defoe was the best in TLA. He's inspired me to slap a man someday. I want it to be you, Steve, but most likely it'll be Courtney. I love it when Bill Murray walks in on the 30 or so pirates and they all start shooting at him and then there's a huge explosion and then everyone gets away EXCPET the one legged dog. What?!

Loved the topless chic, but was pissed she got all upset and left after the pirate incident. Anyway, the soundtrack is great too.

So, dude... more Photoshop art, please! I like The Vlad. What's next?... Maybe The Donald (Trump).






 

Posted by cory

1/26/2005 06:14:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Juzzy - I said no Putin name jokes. I even said please. I got the Andrew Bird from SCADradio, not illegally at all. The album has nice artwork, so you should buy it. Also, Ani DiFranco needs more money so that she can put out ten more albums next month.

Courtney - Please learn some basic HTML so that we don't have to copy and paste URLs. I can refer you to a few starter sites if you're interested. We have had a Graphire Wacom tablet for a while now and it is fabulous. It is the small, dummy model, but it is still great (especially for the price). It takes a little getting used to, butt is worth it. Odd Todd was funny.

Cory - The Donald has already been done, which is probably why you thought of it. We'll just chalk that little slip up to your rabid case of ADD. I love you (except when it comes to Family Guy) Marigold was proud that the Phlip culture got represented in The Life Aquatic through such rousing portrayals as Pirate #1 through 18.
 

Posted by Steve

1/26/2005 10:43:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations, Steve! I'm not saying anything snotty because I am happy for you. I just have to keep up appearances on my own site.

I would have stayed in the Philippines longer had I known I had the option of being a pirate. Pirate #9, that is. 

Posted by sara

1/26/2005 11:49:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

got ya on the link Steve, I just get lazy...

Keep up with the sarcasm, How's that working out for ya?

hahaha

Cory, I really thought YOU would love Family Guy. Rent the first season on DVD, get high and soak it all in. You feel better knowing that their are people out there making this stuff.  

Posted by kcswanko

1/27/2005 01:58:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

so much to reply to, so little gumption to get up to actually type it all out.

I love family guy. I love seth mcfarlane. I love willem defoe, especially in wild at heart.

I've been watching a lot about auschwitz on pbs, et tu stevo? I love the stories about 5 year olds having to drag the bodies of other children to mass graves. Uplifting. Spiritually, not sexually, you sicko. And I was being sarcastic, jesus.

If you make it big I can sell that one painting you gave me when you were secretly in love with me. If I can find it. I think it is stuck in some closet somewhere. Along with our friendship.
Let it be writ that Putin is an ass. 

Posted by mandypants

1/27/2005 07:41:00 PM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and gentlemen, Ken Miller. 

Posted by Anonymous

1/29/2005 01:12:00 AM  

-------------------------------------------------------------

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home